Sunday 6 December 2009

scifreak

During my school days I always loved science class but hated mathematics. I loved geography but I hated history. I hated civics and loved painting. I loved cricket to cooking..and adored football more than dodge ball. I loved dancing rather than sitting and gossiping. I loved fields and garden more than the my confines of rooms. I loved books more than textbooks, and physics more than idle chemistry and bi0logy more than anything. I adored Shakespeare, and silently wished if Keats is still alive to marry me. I adored his poems.

As I grew I loved science more and feared mathematics like hell but it never left me until my graduation. Physics without mathematics is nothing. And since a student of applied physics I have to deal with mathematics every time. I still feel difficulty in it but know I have made my mind such that.. I always first pretended to love mathematics and know I am able to understand it....good relationship is developing...infact my all good buddies happen to be one from mathematics department......lolz..........

Now since my doctorate dissertation is mostly on life science....I am at once more attracted towards physical concepts rather than the plain cause and effect of interactions between the drug and disease. I want to understand science and not mug the techniques like technician. I have varied ideas and they keep on coming to my mind, like others I am not confined to things like closed rooms; I believe in open and vast spaces where ideas nurture and grow in natural. I can't follow what my mentors think, for I have great doubts in the way they think and science for me is more fun, interesting, a curious thing but yet so familiar. I remember once I went to Surat for a applied chemistry conference. My teacher who was guiding my masters dissertation had chemistry background so the kind of work I did in his lab was related to conformation of biological molecules a field between pure and applied science yet more of virtual science. There I happened to meet his guide. He was old man in his late seventies, and since I always get along well with kids and aged person very well and quickly so I happened to share a chat with him. He asked me about my future plans. Instead of answering I asked him whether I should do Ph.D. He said that, what way I think, if I am content with the techniques and just want to practice what is learnt, then no need, but if I have a brain that can generate and is full of doubts then to clear those doubts...I should do Ph.D. Hmm... I don't know why I asked him this question as I always knew that I want to study further. But I was content to listen that people with brain have doubts and this is normal..lolz.......

Now, since I love science and infact anything that bore knowledge. I don't split science from art and philosophy. I take them as one..and I see science more in natural things. I love reading varied topics in science from physics to biology and thus I am interested in different subjects. I love reading science magazines and even reading journals, not only confined to my subject area of "diabetes", my topic, but other fields as well. Once I am reading something scientific I can't stop my self. My interests are more and more varied and multifacial. I love topics from geopolitics to core biology. I am interested in anatomy and physiology as much as in metaphysics and astrophysics. One time, I am reading physiology of gastrointestinal tract and then in next second I am wondering about the white dwarfs and time- space problems. Its like that science as a whole is so enchanting that I am like a hungry fellow who wants to eat all and everything where my eyes rest upon. I may not have the deep understanding of the things but I am crazy I want to know all...I don't want to miss any information on this earth.

As I am today I see myself more as a curious learner and admirer of science, who has just started to grasp things around her. The more I read such stuff the more I get deeper and more the fault I see in the education system. I know that all this knowledge with me is because of this education system but some how I feel that I am still starved and I need more. I am sorry when I see the plight of the people around because after so much discovery still half the world is at dark, without food and without clothes. I see that science of today is taking people away from nature the one which is not the life-line but the very reason of life in this planet.

This divorce between mankind and environment will doom all of us along with our home that is earth.

There is need very serious need of giving a rational thought to the current plight and filling the gap between nature and man. Our needs are limiting the resources, infact destroying them. Everyday new kind of diseases are striking as pandemic and killing humanity. It's like, nature in order to strike the balance is desperately churning and shifting reactions to keep life on this planet but since equilibrium is so disturbed that earth is heading towards loss of life. Man has disturbed feedback systems that stops the reaction to go on extremes..............

So the scifreak as I am; I am sorry that science of today is more of the making of human greed than the pursue of knowledge.........and harmony..............

No comments: